Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

Lee Michaels wrote:

"Bill" wrote

They eventually moved most of the other saws out of the place. My
thinking is that their commissions and markups are much higher on
SawStop. They act in a way which is consistent with that. I don't
see them doing any other sort of table saw demonstrations on Saturday
morning! I don't begrudge them anything, I'm sure it's a tough
business to maintain. I could do with out the "selling by fear"
sales tactic.

I can't speak for woodcraft. They are a bit pricy, but do sell some
quality products. And any retail store that sells to a demographic
that is up the ladder from hobbyists or home repair guys wants to
project an image. With products to match that image.

That is interesting. I guess I'm not really in their demographic. I'm
not presently in the market for any Festool products or any new $300
hand planes. The only reason I go more than once of year is because of a
carving group that meets there. I do take an interst in the way that
all people who market or sell to me, do it. For instance, the
observation you made above adds to my insight. When I wrote, I was not
thinking of them projecting an image. My guess was that they were
putting some of those products there to make their other prices appear
lower (that's a common tactic too). Generally, given the opportunity
to pay to project an image myself, I go the other way. Others get
caught up in labels, etc. We weren't all born with a silver spoon...

Bill