Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/10/2014 12:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/10/2014 12:27 AM, Leon wrote:
On 3/9/2014 9:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 3/9/2014 8:52 PM, Bill wrote:

Have you actually asked a store that sells SawStop how the SS
units sell compared to the other brands?

My local Woodcraft store says nobody buys anything else. I don't
believe them.

They don't even list Delta on their website, but lots of SawStop.

Retail 101, you sell and stock to meet demand.

Possibly another economic factor too. Lawyers tend to drag everyone
into the suits that has loose change in their pockets. "Woodcraft
knowingly sold this XYZ brand to my client knowing he could cut his
penis off if he jumped on top of the saw"

I don't buy that one. I admit that I do not follow this stuff, but it seems
to me that the lawsuits that have been filed and won were against the
manufacturer and not against the retailers. It seems to me that retailers
are not being held accountable in the manner that you suggest.

While that is logical, only going after the manufacturer and not the
retailer, even back in the 80's an AC/Delco wholesaler, that I was the
GM for, had liability insurance in case there was a law suite from a
failed part that we sold to a dealer. We installed nothing. Especially
today a lawyer is going to go after who ever he can to win a case.