Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/9/2014 10:29 PM, Max wrote:
On 3/9/2014 6:53 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/9/2014 7:06 PM, Max wrote:
On 3/9/2014 3:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/9/2014 2:13 PM, Max wrote:
On 3/9/2014 10:28 AM, wrote:

some snip...but..

The SawStop mechanism DOES NOT double the price of the saw. It
doesn't
even come close. The SawStop tablesaw itself is a well made, very
decent operating tablesaw with top notch fit and finish.

There's a number of regular $3000 tablesaws on the market and the
SawStop is as good if not better than all of them.

And that's a consensus or just an opinion. ;-)

It is a consensus. Most all TS reports, with the SawStop involved,
most always place the SawStop as a top quality machine.

Simply the arbor/trunnion assembly is quite HD on all models when
compared to the competition.

If it's a consensus how do other manufacturers manage to stay in
business?

That is kind of a jerk knee question. A bit of research would provide
those answers.

But,

Delta by a thread. They are but a small fraction in size and in
offerings compared to what they offered 5~8 years ago.

Have you actually asked a store that sells SawStop how the SS units sell
compared to the other brands?

No, Leon, I haven't. As I've said, I'm not questioning the quality of
the SawStop but rather the "consensus".
And not the consensus of just the "wreck". There must be a market for
the other "quality" table saws or the SawStop would put its competitors
out of business. (and not saying that won't happen either) ;-)

Repeating what I have mentioned in another part of this thread, there
have been numerous publications with comparisons and the SawStop tends
to come out on top. I did a lot of Googling prior to spending $4k for
my SS. And as I mentioned above, Delta is almost there and or was a
couple of years ago. I saw a video of their come back from the dead
production facility. A brand new facility IIRC. It at the time a
couple of years ago appeared to be about the size of a 15~20 bar
automotive repair shop. I was rather shocked.

The last time this issue surfaced I mentioned that *if* I bought one the
first time that brake busted my saw and blade I would trade it for
a saw without the feature. In other words there's more to the equation
than saving a finger. For me.

I don't think you would have any worries with the brake busting the saw.
The same contractor saw gets demonstrated time and again during most
wood working shows. If the contractor and pro versions operate in the
same manner there is a release of the arbor assembly as it drops below
the table surface. Energy is absorbed by the brake and the rubber
bumper stop at the bottom of the drop.

If the contractors saw can take the rigors of the brake engaging time
and again I seriously doubt that any thing in the industrial version
would be at risk with all of its mass under the table.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/8635558850/