Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/9/2014 7:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/9/2014 7:06 PM, Max wrote:
On 3/9/2014 3:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/9/2014 2:13 PM, Max wrote:
On 3/9/2014 10:28 AM, wrote:

some snip...but..

The SawStop mechanism DOES NOT double the price of the saw. It
doesn't
even come close. The SawStop tablesaw itself is a well made, very
decent operating tablesaw with top notch fit and finish.

There's a number of regular $3000 tablesaws on the market and the
SawStop is as good if not better than all of them.

And that's a consensus or just an opinion. ;-)

It is a consensus. Most all TS reports, with the SawStop involved,
most always place the SawStop as a top quality machine.

Simply the arbor/trunnion assembly is quite HD on all models when
compared to the competition.

If it's a consensus how do other manufacturers manage to stay in
business?

That is kind of a jerk knee question. A bit of research would provide
those answers.

But,

Delta by a thread. They are but a small fraction in size and in
offerings compared to what they offered 5~8 years ago.

Have you actually asked a store that sells SawStop how the SS units
sell compared to the other brands?

My local Woodcraft store says nobody buys anything else. I don't
believe them.

You may have been taking them a bit too literally. ;~) More
believable, my Woodcraft says that SawStop out sells all the other
brands combined. Then again Woodcraft is pricey and their prime target
customer may be willing to spend more for something that they want.

When I was shopping and ready to pull the trigger on the industrial SS I
was looking at the unit in the store shop. Another customer was
considering the same industrial SS. Mass is always a good thing on a
quality saw, less vibration. I told the guy to lift the right extension
table. It would not budge with out considerable effort. He bought the
saw. This particular saw weighs just shy of 700lbs with the 52" fence.
Ironically the hydraulic lift mobile base that SS sells for the
industrial saw moves the saw with a push of the finger. I have to be
careful not to leave my saw unattended in the lifted position. My
garage has a slight slope towards the street and it will roll out of the
garage on it's own.