Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/9/2014 7:18 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 16:26:43 -0500, Leon wrote:

Simply the arbor/trunnion assembly is quite HD on all models when
compared to the competition.

That's certainly true. It *has* to be heavier to take the shock when/if
the brake fires.

Exactly and that benefits the user with a better built arbor/trunnion
assembly.

But I worked for a power tool retailer for a few years and had the
opportunity to examine (and @#$% assemble) several brands and types of
table saws. I think the cabinet saws from Powermatic, General, and maybe
even Steel City, are equal or better in quality to the Sawstop.

That could be true but there is a lot of data that indicates SawStop is
a bit ahead. Considering that I was looking at $5k+ saws a year ago I
was looking pretty closely at the innards of each brand. PM, The Euro
Laguna's, Felder, and Hammer were all in the hunt. General would have
been had I been able to easily see one. Steel City may not be around
much longer and I was never really impressed with that brand.

A prospective buyer has to weigh the importance of quality, price, and
features. Different people will come to different conclusions.

That is exactly true. Some people will buy an American or German
product but never again after having the opportunity to use or own a
Japanese product. It is all in how much value you place in safety,
quality, value. etc. Safety is my personal top of the list and is the
leading reason that I recently bought the industrial SS over the Laguna
TS with the scoring blade.