Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/9/2014 10:35 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:19:11 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 11:06:49 -0400,
wrote:
Not like everything else. The difference is the cost (and the
patents). Let's do this again after the patents run out.

I'm wondering how many less than ten fingered woodworking people would
agree with you?

Completely irrelevant. A similar silly-statement would be "How many
people who had limbs lost in car accidents, prefer they stayed home
that day?". Life *is* about risk/reward, no matter how much the
nanny-state tries to tell you otherwise.

There is no such thing as "safe". The only question is how much are
you willing to pay for each bit of "safety". When I bought my saw, I
looked at a SawStop but decided that the Unisaw would look nice in the
garage (nicer than the Griz). A picture of a SawStop just wouldn't
cut it.

Do you have a SawStop?

FWIW I had the same attitude and comments here as those that have not
yet benefited from the SawStop or see the benefit of spending and extra
thousand on a saw, 25 years ago.

You cut your self it is your own damn fault and you did something wrong.
I'll be careful and practice every rule that I have read or have been
taught.

Then one day I cut half my thumb off, about 15 years later SawStop is on
the horizon. Today I own a SawStop. Wow what did I do wrong???
Hummmmmm obviously I did something wrong... and it took me about one
year to almost cut my thumb off again before I realized what had
actually happened. No set of safety rules "directly" addressed what
went wrong. I can assure you that safety rules only cover the basics
and it is not unusual to be in a situation that is not specifically
addressed in the "rules".

Unfortunately one never really understands every conceivable way that
you can be injured by the TS, that is until you have an unfortunate
accident, IF you have an accident. No one ever tries to have an
accident but no one lives a charmed life, one with out accidents.

It is all a matter of choice of how safe you want your equipment to be
and how much you value your safety.

All things considered, and knowing what I do about why accidents are
called accidents, I choose my safety over principal.

So for anyone that has not yet been convinced that a SawStop is a smart
investment or an investment worth saving up for, I totally understand, I
have been in your shoes.

And FWIW if any one believes that you will get a false sense of security
by using a SawStop TS I can assure you that I have not. There is
something about a blade spinning at 100 MPH that is very real and still
very intimidating.

Why do I preach the SawStop? I am not the only one that knows that
accidents happen and myself and others like me would rather pay extra to
help prevent another accident from happening. I really felt pretty
stupid after cutting half my thumb off. I don't want to feel that way
again if there is a way to add the extra margin of safety.

Y'all be careful!