Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/8/2014 10:05 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 3/8/2014 10:14 PM, Elrond Hubbard wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

This comment will undoubtedly loose the usual ****storm of debate
on a subject that has already been flogged to death. I am strongly
of the opinion that having a saw with an idiot-proof feature allows
you to be more of an idiot.

Said by the idiot. I am as entitled to voice my opinion as any one
here but insinuating that someone becomes more of an idiot because
his or her beliefs don't align with yours speaks volumes about you.

If you can afford the saw it is a no brainier.

Didn't call anyone an idiot, nor did I suggest that you weren't
entitled to the opinion which you have expressed at least ten
thousand times on this forum. Why so defensive?

Let me quote you here.

I am strongly of the opinion that having a saw with an
idiot-proof
feature allows you to be more of an idiot.

To be able to be more of an idiot you first have to be an idiot. If
you are not an idiot at all you cannot be more of one.

We're all idiots to some degree, Leon. For instance, some people can't
tell the difference between a huge generalization and a personal attack.

So while you did not directly name names you did indicate that "having
a saw with an idiot-proof feature" allows a you to be more of an
idiot.

You accomplished what you set out to do, offend any one recommending,
considering, or using a SawStop.

All I set out to do was offer my opinion. You disagree with my opinion.
And you go on to make your argument for the ten-thousand and one-th
time.

Further you stated,

For the last ten years I've used a table saw daily, and for
thirty
or so years prior to that, I'd used one at least a few of times a
week. A fewyouthful misadventures with kickback taught me respect. I'm
not foolhardy enough to say I can't get hurt again, but if I do, it
won't be because I have a false sense of security from having a saw
that makes a workshop safe for hot dogs.

Now certainly you understand that with all of your claimed vast years
of extensive and continuous use of a TS that a beginner or a person
clearly not as smart as you might benefit from a safer saw, one that
can prevent a serious cut should that person with much much much less
experience than you have a slip in judgement or do something foolish.

Which is why all entry-level table saws are equipped with the Saw Stop,
right? Because all first-time buyers are willing and able to shell out
the extra $$$ that the hot-dog nicking safety device costs.

No?

Please elaborate.

You admit that with your youthful adventures with kickback, and since
you mentioned adventures as plural, one would deduct that either you
are a slow learner or that there actually are numerous possibilities
of being hurt on a TS. AAMOF there is not a publication that can
cover every possible instance of what can prevent an accident. Only
experience helps to fill in the gaps.

And to sum up your way of thinking, If you get hurt using a TS, that
is less safe to use, it is your own fault.

Absolutely. Personal responsibility is a wonderful thing. Can't
recommend it enough. Should be taught in school, even.

Never mind the fact that
if you were using a safer saw you might not get hurt. Have you ever
considered that if you cut you finger or hand it is your fault because
you were not using a SawStop?

Huh??? Of course it would be my fault. See above personal
responsibility.

And with your comment below, you clearly have not thought out what
your words really mean.

I'm not foolhardy enough to say I can't get hurt again, but if I
do, it won't be because I have a false sense of security from having a
saw that makes a workshop safe for hot dogs.

If you do get hurt again, it will absolutely be because you have a
false sense of security. I'm not calling you stupid but do you think
that you would actually do something purposely wrong? If you get hurt
again is will because you either purposely did something wrong or
because you do not have enough knowledge/experience to know that the
operation you are performing can harm you. Believe me, if you think
that you know all of the ways to prevent being harmed on the TS you
are the prime target of SawStop. If you know you don't know every way
of being harmed on a TS you are also a prime target of SawStop.

As I said earlier, I'm not enough of a fool to think that I can't get
hurt by a table saw. I remind myself EVERY TIME I turn the thing on. I'm
also not enough of a fool to think that the overpriced safety device you
defend so rabidly will prevent anything other than the type of accident
caused by carelessness, and is not designed to prevent any of the other
kinds of harm the thing can throw my way if I use it incorrectly.

So looking back I did not see a previous post from Elron Hubbard, so who
did you post your opinion as???

Obliviously a sock puppet that I have wasted enough time on.