Posted to rec.woodworking
Max[_5_] Max[_5_] is offline

Default Table Saw purchase question

On 3/7/2014 10:17 PM, wrote:
On 08 Mar 2014 02:58:43 GMT, Tyrone Tiews wrote:
enough to say I can't get hurt again, but if I do, it won't be because I
have a false sense of security from having a saw that makes a workshop safe
for hot dogs.

Do you wear a seatbelt when you're driving Tyrone? Do you have a smoke
detector or carbon monoxide detector in your home Tyrone? The SawStop
is a safety device just like anything else. If all these things are
likely to give you a false sense of security then you've got a
serious problem.

The degree to which any safety device contributes to the utilitarian
value to the owner varies with the ....owner.
I would question the value of the Saw Stop safety device to someone who
is extraordinarily safety conscious when operating any device that
presents a danger.
Am I prepared to trade some expensive and desirable tool in exchange for
the safety a SawStop offers (say a jointer and a less expensive table
saw.)
(actually, I am since I can afford to)
But for the individual who has to scrape together money for tools the
choice might not be so easy.
Having said that, if I were in the market for a new table saw the
determining factor for my choice would be the quality of the tool.

None of the foregoing should be interpreted as a criticism of the
SawStop's quality.

(and, by the way, insurance data shows that seat belts apparently do
cause drivers to develop a false sense of security. That's why people
often do not buckle up for short trips but when they hit the freeway
they do buckle up.)