Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Another battery charger question

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 3/5/2014 11:08 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 11:35:02 -0500, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 3/5/2014 3:25 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 04 Mar 2014 22:19:54 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On 5 Mar 2014 04:11:48 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2014-03-03, Larry Jaques wrote:
On 2 Mar 2014 02:29:21 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:
[ ... ]

Another place to learn electronics (though with a different
focus) is in preparing for the FCC ham radio exams. Especially the
first level (technician) covers a lot of the basics. (Along with lots of
rules as to what you can and can't do with your license once you pass
the test -- since it is government, there are *lots* of things which
become rules. :-) But it also gets you started on reading schematic
symbols and such.
I plan on doing that RSN. I already bought the radio, a little
handheld Baofeng UV-5R which my ham buddy recommended. I need to
study up and take the test before using (transmitting with) it.
With that, I can get in touch with people who own -real- HAM radios.
g He sent me a CD full of the practice tests and answers, plus
other goodies.

O.K. The best practice tests are on the web -- random selection
of questions from the full pool each time you take it. Some pools are
small, so you see questions in that group frequently, others have a large
number of questions, so you have to take a really large number of tests
before you see them all (if ever. :-) But it surely gives you an idea
what you need to bone up on. :-)
Indeed!

Here are the two which I used:

http://aa9pw.com/radio/

http://www.eham.net/exams/

Both of these take you to a place where you can select which
exam to try. Both will tell you (when you finish) which ones you got
right, which wrong, and what the right answer was if you got one wrong
or did not answer it.

The primary difference is that the first one shows you the final
results in the order in which the questions were presented to you, and
the second one scrambles the order.
Since it's the proper answer we're after, I don't see why it would
matter.

Note that while these supply the choices for a given question in
the order in which the tables from ARRL are ordered, but in the actual
exam the order is often scrambled, so don't think that you can remember
"if they ask this one, the right answer is option "B" :-)
I've talked with people who claim to be "professional test takers" but
can't do squat with real info. I just smile and let them think what
they will, then fail in real life. Fuggem.

Strangely enough, I find Tawm apparently stuck in one of my wildcard
filters, too.
*That* is the problem with all the junk which has moved into the
newsgroup. Desirable posters sometimes wind up as "collateral damage"
from the killfiles. :-(

I found "mars" in my file, not for Tawm but he got included. I should
see him again now.
Same here. Must have been a troll with mars in his nym

--

"

I always LOBED that movie! Mars Attacks will go down in history as a
classic!

I didn't lob it, but I watched it once. Too slapsticky for me, but
there were definitely funny points.

Have you seen Idiocracy? Parallels with today's inane society abound.
'Tis a _very_ scary movie.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

I saw it, you are right. UK Uk uk uk

Here are a couple actual electronics classes.
They are online courses from MIT and Rice University. Both are FREE to
audit (you get all the class stuff but no certificate or anything.) If
you want a certificate it costs money (not much but not free)

https://www.edx.org/course/mitx/mitx...ectronics-1130
(archived course)

https://www.edx.org/course/ricex/ric...magnetism-1356

--