Jim M

Default Bowl Turning Tear-out Problem ? ? ?

Hi Barry,
Everything the others suggest is true. Another option that helps when
you just can't seem to get rid of that last bit of torn endgrain while
turning is to try wax-sanding. I read about this tactic on the newsgroup
about a year ago. I remember Ruth mentioning trying it. A couple times
recently I've had to resort to it to help remove the torn endgrain and it
works. You might have to reapply the wax once or twice to the area,
depending on how bad it is.
I was doing a demo for the 4-H over the weekend at the county fair
grounds. And I had a small piece of willow to make a bowl out of. And no
matter the tool or the cut I just couldnt get rid of all the tear-out. Some
woods are like that. So I put on some wax in the problem area, and a little
sanding and it was gone.
--Jim M.