Barry N. Turner

Default Bowl Turning Tear-out Problem ? ? ?

I turned a small cherry bowl (3" deep x 9" in diameter) yesterday on my Jet
Mini lathe. The cherry blank was green, but has been air-drying in my shop
for about a year. When I began to turn it, I got short curls not long
shavings, if that gives some idea of the relative moisture content. The
turning went fairly well (or seemed to). The bowl has a fairly nice shape.
(Or, at least I think so.)

When I began to sand the interior of the bowl, I noticed that I had some
tear-out on end grain. I immediately went back to the scraper. I put a
fresh edge on a domed scraper and went to work. Well, it didn't work so
well. I still have tear-out.

I have a Sorby shear scraping tool. I tried it. It helped, but I still
have way too much tear-out. I went all the way back to 80 grit sandpaper
with little results. The tear-out seems to defy removal, (at least by me).

I am pretty much a newby when it comes to turning bowls. From my reading, I
thought one of these methods would make short work of my tear-out. I have
considered wetting the interior of the bowl and trying the shear scraper on
the wet wood. The shape of the bowl in this area of tear-out eliminates any
possibility of power sanding. How do I get rid of the tear out? Any
suggestions will be greatly appreciated.