Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

Default DVR 3000 Experience

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...nk.net&rnum=25
from this link I copyed this section

"

The locking handles of the banjo and tailstock have long been a
weakness
of the Teknatool lathes. The manufacturer has made several changes in
these handles over time and model, but they remain somewhat
uncomfortable and awkward to use. The good news is that relatively
cheap
modifications can greatly improved this aspect of the DVR. For around
twenty dollars, you can outfit your DVR with comfortable, effective,
durable handles, greatly easing the day to day use of the lathe.

The banjo is locked using a short metal lever. This 4 inch locking
lever
is the same as that supplied for the tailstock, and in both cases is
over an inch shorter than the one that came on the Nova 3000. This
shorter length is necessary on the tailstock in order to clear the
tailstock hand wheel, and for that purpose is acceptable. However, for
use on the banjo, the lever is both too short and too small in
diameter
to be truly comfortable. Fortunately, you can improve upon the handle
quite easily and cheaply. Reid Tool Supply is a good source for
replacement handles (Reid calls them Gear Levers), and looking through
the pages of their catalog you will find you can obtain several sorts
of
handle styles and lengths (something between 4.5 and 6.5 inches will
work the best). My favorite solution is to scavenge an original Nova
3K
handle, or lacking that, to obtain a basic steel shaft that is
threaded
on one or both ends (e.g., Reid # GLS-170). Over either of those
shafts
I use the Ergostyle soft touch push fit handles (Reid # ESP-85). These
push fit handles are not really push fit for the 10mm metric sized
Nova levers, so you must ream them out with a 10 mm drill bit to get
them to fit putting a little hole in the end will also help release
the
internal air as you push them on. I like these handles so much that I
don t mind going to these extra steps and use them for both the banjo
and the tailstock levers. The firm molded rubber of the Ergostyle
handles gives you a 7/8 inch diameter by 3.35 inch long gripping
surface, rather than the hard 10mm (essentially 3/8 inch) diameter
surface of the steel levers. Regardless of the levers you obtain, make
sure they have the M10 x 1.5 threading that is necessary to screw them
into the Nova mounting holes, and use a good wrap of Teflon tape or
some
thread locking compound to keep these coarse threads tight against
their
mating surfaces.

The locking lever for the tool rest is as much an aggravation as that
for the banjo. It is not infrequent that a hand grasping the banjo
locking lever is squeezed up against the tool rest post locking lever
(or vice versa). I ve found the solution is to use a
ratcheting/adjustable handle, not unlike those found on many
mini-lathes, but much heavier duty. Again, Reid Tool has the KHX-345
metal handle, which has the necessary M12x1.75, one inch stud. This is
one of my favorite modifications to my DVR. This big secure handle
gives
a good solid grip, and can be adjusted to whatever angle is most
conducive to operation or getting the handle out of the way.

Before leaving this area, I want to point out a simple adjustment that
can be made to the banjo locking mechanism. Some find, either upon
receiving the lathe, or after a period of use, that the banjo does not
lock down quite as tightly as might be desired. A simple improvement
can
almost always be attained by sliding the banjo off the bed, turning it
over and tightening the bolt that attaches the locking plate to the
locking mechanism. This bolt is countersunk and has a socket for an 8
mm
Allen wrench. It will already feel tight, but if you apply force, it
will usually tighten about an additional quarter turn. I ve done this
on
two Nova 3ks and my current DVR, and in each case it has improved the
locking action. While you have the banjo upside run a file along the
bottom side of the banjo housing, just enough to smooth over any
variations in paint thickness and remove any casting flash doing so
will
improve how smoothly your banjo will slide, as well as allow it to
lock
down more securely. One last thing while you have the banjo off is to
lightly oil the slide. This can be done from the top side as well, by
removing two plastic caps. Lubricating the locking mechanism is
discussed in the DVR manual and is basic maintenance for these lathes.
If ever you find the banjo is seeming to become difficult to position
freely, it is usually that the slide portion of the locking mechanism
is
due for a little lubrication.

"

n Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:05:15 -0400, "rickpixley"
wrote:

Sorry,I missed the part from Lyn's reviews regarding the handle
upgrade..Anyone care to restate this?Lyn is obviously not available
now..Hope all is well with him..Thanks,Rick
"Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim" wrote in message
.. .