Bill Rubenstein

Default Roughing Gouges - Poorly Designed?

In article ,
says...
.... snip
Keep the toolrest low, the handle of the tool lower, and
don't push into the wood, but allow the wood to contact it, peeling back
what you don't want.

.... snip

The tool rest low and the handle lower is right, I think. It also has
the advantage of allowing you to pin your lower hand against your hip
and move the tool with your lower body rather than your arms or hands.

But...

I've noticed that there are several machines out there whose tool rests
almost do not allow you to turn that way. The top surface is too
horizontal so that as you lower the handle the fulcrum moves from the
front edge of the tool rest to the back edge of the top surface of the
tool rest. The worst-shaped rest is, I think, on the new 16" Jet -- the
top surface is something like an inch wide so that with the handle down
and the rest 1/2" away from the work, the fulcrum is something over 1
1/2" away from the work. I don't understand how they did this.

Another machine with much the same problem is the Powermatic -- I think
that the top surface of the rest is narrower than the Jet (from memory)
but still a problem. Oneway, Woodfast, Stubby,..., have it right.

Bill