Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another battery charger question

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 17:18:48 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 14:33:33 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:

Thanks for all the replies and knowledge. My other battery charger is a
one pound electronic machine. It works OK, supplies 2, 6 and 12 amps
and has all sorts of buttons and lights! What it won't do is charge a
totally dead battery...thus repairing the old Craftsman. It displays:
"BAD BATTERY" and I have to hook-up jumper cables from another vehicle
to get a few percent of a charge to get the electronic charger to work.

I went through this when stranded at a remote cabin with a car with
a dead battery. Most of these smart chargers have some stupid
secret code to "rejuvenate" a totally dead battery. You may have
to push multiple buttons, hold for several seconds or whatever, and
no way to figure it out without the manual. I had to play with that
unit for MANY minutes before I was able to translate the Chinglish
instructions into the right buttons to make it start charging.

Jon

The reason they won't charge a dead battery is the "polarity
protection" circuit to prevent hooking the charger up backwards and
doing damage to either the charger, the battery, or both.

Ive had some..some luck hooking another battery in parallel with the
dead one and the charger..and then removing the good battery.

Gunner

--
"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,

---