Franklin Rasmussen

Default DVR 3000 Experience

Fred, thanks for the help.

I was able to get Lyn's articles from the archives and they were most
helpful. I also visited your More Woodturning site and found some good
general info on turning. I have been turning on a minilath for sometime and
want to moveup to larger bowl turning. It looks like the DVR 3000 wood be
good choice for the money I have to spend.

Doug

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
Hello Doug,

There has been a lot of discussion on this machine on this newsgroup over

the
past year. Lyn wrote a series of articles on his DVR for More Woodturning.

I've
owned one for almost a year now. I had a Nova 3000 for three or four years
before acquiring the DVR 3000. I always felt the Nova 3000 was the best

lathe on
the market for under $1500. The Nova DVR 3000 is an even better lathe, but

it
costs a bit more. I would say it is the best lathe under $1800 to $2000

now.

Because of the DVR technology, the lathe is low in power at very slow rpm.

This
is because of the space between sensors and the time it takes to get from

one
sensor to another. Therefore, the earlier machines and possibly those

available
in the United States have a minimum speed at turn on of power of 1500 rpm

and
only go down to 250 rpm. I did find this to be a problem. I seldom turned

below
300 rpm and the lathe maintains the last speed you had set in until you

turn off
the power.

It is an excellent machine and I highly recommend it.

You might want to do a Power Search of the archinves. Go to
http://www.deja.com and select Power Search. Then enter

rec.crafts.woodturning
into the forum space and NOVA DVR 3000 into the subject space. You should

turn
up a lot of good posts. Especially read Lyn's. He talks both good and bad

points
about it but says that he wouldn't want to go back to his Nova 3000.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article ,
"Franklin says...

I'm thinking about buying a Nova DVR 3000. I'm looking for some comment
from someone who owns one on what they think of it - pro and con.

Doug