Ali T. Borahan

Default DVR 3000 Experience

Hi Doug,

I can't think of a single con for this lathe. I've had one for about two
months now and I've already turned about 20 or 25 pieces on it. What I can
say is: the company backs their product 100%. My "new" lathe died on me
(first time in Teknatool history) last Sunday. Tuesday, I had a brand new
lathe. No questions asked. Teknatool has a toll free number to technical
support in New Zealand, and Woodcraft (the main supplier in the States) also
has an 800 tech support line. Teknatool are extremely helpful and courteous.
Very, very professional company. (And no, I don't in any way represent
them--I just think they're a fantastic company!).

Having said that, let me get into the nuts and bolts of the lathe itself:

- It comes with a built in index, so if you're into ornamental turning,
carving, or such, it's a breeze to set stops at regular intervals.
- The entire headstock rotates 360 degrees. This is great if you want to do
off-the-bed turning of larger pieces, so center to bed distance is a moot
point. Also, I've found that it's easier on my back if I turn the headstock
away from center about 45 degrees; no more bening over the lathe when deep
hollowing.
- Computer controlled, variable speed motor from 250 rpm (I think) up to
3500 rpm in increments of 5 rpm.
- If you do buy one, I strongly recommend the bench that's designed for it.
I've actually got mine bolted into a concrete floor. I ordered the long
bench, both for the added weight and so that I could eventually add an
extension to the lathe bed (for turning long pieces such as pool cues).
- Has a great number of optional items such as vacuum chucking systems,
ornamental turning tools, out-rigger tool rest, etc.
-Comes with a HEAVY-DUTY 12" tool rest and an extremely heavy and rugged
tailstock. Includes morse taper and live center.
-I'm not sure if it's included in all lathe setups, but mine also came with
the vacuum ready flywheel/handle.

I can go on all day, but these are just some of the pros. If you're
seriously interested, I suggest you call Woodcraft (if you have one close to
where you're located) and see if they'll let you try one out. They let me
try mine (brand new out of the box) before I actually purchased it.
Alternatively, if you're in the Chesapeake, VA area, let me know and I'd be
happy to let you check out mine.

Also, don't know if you're aware that Teknatool has a web site... It's at
http://www.teknatool.com. They have a lot of information about the DVR,
including the manual which you can download.

Hope this has been of some help to you. I really do HIGHLY recommend the
DVR. I believe it's as good, if not better than lathes that cost ten times
as much.

If you have any specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

--
Ali T. Borahan
AliSails - Fine Wood Artistry & Custom Woodcrafts

"Franklin Rasmussen" wrote in message
I'm thinking about buying a Nova DVR 3000. I'm looking for some comment
from someone who owns one on what they think of it - pro and con.

Doug