Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Power cuts

In article , Michael
Chare mUNDERSCOREnews@chareDOTorgDOTuk.? scribeth thus
On 27/02/2014 18:46, tony sayer wrote:

The real problem is that the government don't enforce high enough
penalties when electricity supplies fail.

Worse than that, when there is bad weather the amount that the suppliers
have to pay by way of compensation to customers who have been cut off is
halved.

Since the '87 storm my supply was failed three times because of falling
trees hitting overhead lines.

That was a bit of a one in "x" year's event;!..

That is just the trees that are local enough for me to see what
happened. There are many more power cuts.

The last time was this month. We were cut
off for 48 hours. Nothing was done to correct the problem for the first
30 hours, probably because other problems were being attended to. There
would have been a 4th time just before last Christmas, fortunately the
tree just clipped the line as it fell and only cause a temporary outage.

If the electricity supplier cut down all the trees that could hit the
lines if they fell, or put the cables underground the problem would be
avoided.

Now your asking;!.

I have a similar problem with my BT phone line however in that case I
have ordered an underground fibre connection which I am hoping will be
more reliable. I will be disappointed if the broadband Internet is not
100 times faster.

Got to be Virgin Media then;?...

Gigaclear

Ah!, community broadband. There seem to be some of those springing up
around this area.

http://www.airbroadband.co.uk/

This one is using wireless delivery on I believe 5.8 Ghz which IMHO
isn't the best choice of frequency as anyone and everyone will be
entitled to use those frequency bands.

So the Gigaclear system is that fibre delivered in which case they must
have dug up all the area served to lay ducts or is that radio delivered
too, if you know?..

It makes me wonder if they can do that why can't BT or VM do it?.

However there were several radio broadband systems came online in the
area around Cambridge, but as soon as the local exchange was enabled up
off people went to broadband by wire. Usually the lack of aerials on the
roof appealed to most subscribers. Makes me wonder if the same might
happen again or perhaps we'll see the likes of G/Clear being swallowed
up by bigger players as time goes by like perhaps err BT;?..

As to your 100 times faster, much less then that is fine We've been on
the 30 meg service from VM for a few years now and its fine. Sir Richard
with his mate Mr Bolt tell us that we're to have 60 for the same price
in the summer which is fine by me...

--
Tony Sayer