Posted to uk.d-i-y
MattyF MattyF is offline

Default Power cuts

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:14:41 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article , Nightjar
scribeth thus
On 27/02/2014 18:40, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Nightjar
scribeth thus

... but undergrounding has problems of its own.

Like what?. In comparison to overhead?..

More difficult to upgrade. Can be damaged by ground movement. Prone to
getting digger shovels through them. Faults normally take a lot longer
to trace and repair (digger shovels excluded).

Colin Bignell

Overall less bother so I've noticed over some 20 years at several
locations..

On new build's and estates you never, least round this way, see overhead
delivered services..

We have one or more power cuts a year, usually because someone has
knocked down a power pole. Here's a lady knocking my pole down very
slowly:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ruy728.jpg

We had 110kV underground to the central city. People kept hitting it with
diggers. Eventually the four cables failed, and it took five weeks to get
the power on again to the central city:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Auckland_power_crisis

Then they spent over $100 million digging a tunnel for the cables. It has
a railway line inside it. Piece of cake to fix now!