Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default Power cuts

Well in a wy it is, but its also lack of inspection.
Many years ago people used to walk the lines and get trees pruned that
might hit the cables and look for overheating transformers etc, but I have
the feeling that they now plan on a given life for hardware, and do not look
so often at long low runs of cable near trees.
I've also heard via some comments from people that Ofcom are getting more
reports of interference from insulators than used to be the case, so I'd
suggest less inspection is definitely going on, or not if you get my drift.
ask a person who lives in Norfolk, they have similar issues.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Dave Baker" wrote in message
In the 25 years I lived in my last house in southern suburbia I can count
the number of times the lecky went out on the fingers of one heavily
mutilated hand. Since moving to the middle of feckin nowhere in
Aberdeenshire it's been about a dozen times in 18 months.

We started off with a spate of them in 2012, then it settled down for a
while, we had another one last back end and then it went out for an hour
and a half yesterday again. Several have been in the middle of the night
where I only realise it happened because the clock on the cooker is
flashing and has lost its settings when I get up.

I'd assumed it was just some specific fault on a wire local to our little
enclave here which some bugger really ought to get round to fixing
properly but finally I phoned up the power company yesterday when the
phone started working again and it had knocked out the power to 352 houses
over a several mile area and was reported in as "an explosion at the top
of a power pole in someone's garden".

He also looked up the previous outage and that was over a wide area too.
So no general problem with our local supply, just sod's law it seems.
Branches falling onto cables etc.

So I'm happy it isn't just my house or its supply but surprised it happens
so often. Is this just a "living in the sticks" sort of thing we have to
get used to?
--
Dave Baker