Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Dacon[_6_] Tom Dacon[_6_] is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendations

"Leon" wrote in message

Being a pro in a particular field does not made you an expert on every
piece of equipment within a product line that you may or may not use.

Yeah, I get that, Leon. In my original response to Gramps, I just mentioned
that the local arborists are Husky users, merely as a point of comparison to
offer a different viewpoint from mine as a satisfied Stihl user. Trying to
be even-handed. If Stihl vs. Husky is a religious war in some quarters, I
have no intention of dying in a ditch over it. In fact, the reason I've got
a Stihl is that the nearest good chainsaw repair place was at the time a
Stihl dealer; if it had been a Husky dealer I'd no doubt own a Husky
instead.

I love the SawStop - I'm half-owner of a fairly new one that I share with a
boat builder friend, that we purchased to replace a Delta cabinet saw that
took off one of his index fingers. I'm on the Festool bandwagon too, with a
CXS drill, a jigsaw, and a random orbital sander - hope this admission
doesn't bring the Festool haters out of the woodwork, too.

One of the saws that my tree guys use is a very small and light Husky
limbing chainsaw with about a 14-inch bar, that they use one-handed when
they're up a tree. I lust after it, but it's a professional tool and priced
to suit - about $600 or so - and there's no way that I could justify it for
the occasional use I'd make of it.

Tom