Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_5_] Leon[_5_] is offline

Default Chainsaw recommendations

"Tom Dacon" wrote:
Talk to one of those guys - not the tree guy who really does not know.

Well, Mike, I'd like to congratulate you on winning the Olympic gold
medal for the broad jump to a conclusion, about my tree guys (let's take
a minute for the applause to die down). These guys are pros - qualified
arborists who have been in the business for two generations that I know
about. They do this every day, and they like their Huskys, and who am I,
or you for that matter, to tell them otherwise.

Come to think of it, I don't know anything about your qualifications,
either. Any special reason why I should listen to your opinion in preference to theirs?

Tom

"Tom Dacon" wrote:
Talk to one of those guys - not the tree guy who really does not know.

Well, Mike, I'd like to congratulate you on winning the Olympic gold
medal for the broad jump to a conclusion, about my tree guys (let's take
a minute for the applause to die down). These guys are pros - qualified
arborists who have been in the business for two generations that I know
about. They do this every day, and they like their Huskys, and who am I,
or you for that matter, to tell them otherwise.

Come to think of it, I don't know anything about your qualifications,
either. Any special reason why I should listen to your opinion in preference to theirs?

Tom

There is a possibility that a long time tree guy that has been unsung a
particular well known brand just may not know what might be best for an
occasional user. I own the top of the line SawStop TS. I would not assume
that the 120 volt contractors model would not serve an occasional user
well. I own several Festool power tools that I use on every job and again
would not assume that my experience would qualify me to recommend a
particular tool for an occasional user.

What might be a best but for a novice may not have any appeal at all to the
pro.

Festool makes and sells a $600 drill kit which I own and use. They also
produce a model for about half that price aimed at the budget minded user.
I'm not about to say that the cheaper model down grades the brand.

Being a pro in a particular field does not made you an expert on every
piece of equipment within a product line that you may or may not use.