Tony Manella

Default Colwood Cub woodburning tool

HI Joe,
I hadn't planned on doing entire pieces like the artists I mentioned, just
some detail work here and there on an occasional piece. I don't have the
time or patience to do an entire piece. I also don't have hundreds of
dollars to spend on a tool that will only be used a few times a year. Maybe
I need to rethink if I really want to do any burning at all. Thanks for the
response.
Tony Manella
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
Tony,

During their AAW demonstrations, both Art Liestman and Andi Wolfe

mentioned
that, for serious burning, the smaller units do not have adequate watts to
burn significant designs. They are OK for signing your name and for

drawing
simple lines, but they are underpowered for deep burning and carving

similar
to what those whom you mentioned (Andi, Jack and David) do in their work.

I know that Andi, Art, and Jack all have Detail Master Burning Units. I
believe that both Jack and Art have the Excalibre and that Andi has the
Sabre. On their recommendation, I bought the Excalibre.

When shopping, you should go for enough power. Here are some web sites.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

http://www.detailmasteronline.com/
http://www.woodburning.com/cords.htm
http://www.woodcarvers.com/detailmaster.htm
http://www.woodburningpens.com/

"Tony Manella" wrote in message
Inspired by David Nittman, Jack Vesrey and of course our own Andi Wolf,

am
interested in decorating some turnings with woodburning. Since I am

just
getting into this I don't want to spend much money. I noticed that

Highland
Hardware has a great price on a tool called the Cub made by Colwood.

Does
anyone have any experience with this tool? Its rated at 35 watts and

has
temperature control. They also have 16 tip designs, too many for a

beginner
to chose from, and I have no idea what they all are used for. I want to

buy
2, one for signing pieces and fine detail but I'm not exactly sure what

want to do with the other yet. Is there a shape that could act as a

jack
of
all trades? Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.