Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chainsaw recommendations

Morgans wrote:

Go to the local pawn shop, and find you an old saw with good
compression, and ask them to start it up for you. I have a Poulan a
bought when Huge hit in (89 I think) and I use it for mainly
trimming. I guarantee I could go get it out of the shed, put fresh
gas in it, and start it on the 4th or 5th pull. I don't know about
the newer Poulans. As little as you sound like you use one, an old
used saw sounds like what you need.

Those were the good old days for Poulan. Today, they are what is considered
a 50 hour saw. Pure junk. For the very occassional user, it might be saw
enough but if you'd plan on using it every year - bad money spent. I'm a
Stihl guy through and through, so that would be my recommendation, but
that's me.

Rather than going the pawn shop route, I'd suggest going to a local shop
that sells and maintains chainsaws. Not to a big box store or to a store
that simply sells them. You want to go to the guys that actually fix them
right there at their shop. They'll give you the honest scoop on what's good
and what isn't but more importantly, they usually have some pretty good
deals on trade-ins. Plus, you've got a place that will stand behind their
saw.

--

-Mike-