WoodChuck34

Default Metal Router Table Top

"J. Clarke" wrote in message ...
Pat Barber wrote:

Like this ????

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=1&S ID=

WoodChuck34 wrote:

Has anyone ever tried a Steel or Aluminum top in their shop made
router table. I will probably go with MDF again, but I have a bunch
of friend who are sell metal. I'm guessing you wouldn't need to thick
of a guage to hang a router under there. 1/4" of steel plate or sheet
would probably be overkill. Not sure how much a 2' x 2' piece would
weigh though.

Steel would be find if you don't mind the weight, have the tools to work it,
and bear in mind that dropping a carbide bit on a steel table is more
likely to chip the carbide than dropping it on a wood or MDF table--since
router bits are changed more frequently than saw blades this is a real
issue.

Just make sure you have it well grounded.

Good point on grounding, I wouldn't have thought of that. The other
idea I had is a steel plate with a single layer of MDF on top. I'm
looking to eliminate sagging.

chuck