Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default 1/8 " bandsaw blade problem

"Bill Leonhardt" wrote in message
On Sunday, February 16, 2014 10:35:25 PM UTC-5, Vic Baron wrote:
I have a Grizzly G0555 with a 12" riser. Added an Iturra spring.

I have had no problems with except one.

I've been trying to use a 1/8" blade for some scroll work and I'm having

helluva time keeping the blade tracking.

I get it set and it runs fine for a little while and then it will start

move either forward or back. I've tried TimberWolf and Olsen and
HIghland

Hardware 105" blades and it makes no difference.

I've tried putting it on the crest of the wheel, just in front or just

behind the crest. It just seems so touchy I figure there must be a better

way.

Any ideas?

Thanx,

Vic

--

There are 10 kinds of people - those who understand binary and those who

don't

Vic,

I think you've already gotten some good input from others. When I first
read of your problem, I wondered if there was a practical limit to how
small the blade could be for a certain radius of curvature of the wheel
camber. Perhaps 1/8" is too small for the camber on that model of wheel.
Still, I like the thermal expansion explanation better.

I have the same bandsaw with the same riser block. I have long suspected
the stock spring (probably from reading this group)as being inadequate.
I'd like to hear more about your experience with the Iturra spring.

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill - When I first purchased the G0555 I git a lot of recommendations
from folks here to get the Iturra spring. Basically I've had no problems
with it. It is firmer than the stock spring so you don't have to crank as
much to tension the blade. I was also able to get a 3/4" Wood Slicer on that
saw and tension it properly. I could not have done that with the stock
spring. I've had it for several years and it appears to be just as strong as
ever so I'm assuming the other feature about holding it's strength holds
true.

The 1/8" blade is tracking fine now but I am more aware of the thermal
expansion. I have no issues with a 3/16" blade but the 1/8 seems to be
really touchy.

Decided to get a small 10" Rikon bandsaw also. Swapping blades during a
project can be a pita so I'll set one up for resaw and the other for any
scroll type stuff.

Vic