Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default 3.5mm stereo headphone socket that isn't.

"dave" wrote in message
m...
On 02/19/2014 02:37 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
I don't get this at all.

I need a 3.5mm switched stereo headphone socket to replace a broken
surface
mount PCB socket.

So I bought this, the only one that Farnell sell.
http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/..._4802.2300.pdf

http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/4802-...pole/dp/143336

Only it is the wrong dimensions to fit a standard 3.5mm headphone jack.
The
jack plug will not go far enough into the socket, as the plug's collar
meets
the threaded part of the socket too early.

Now I've measured a couple of headphone plugs, one on my Sony headphones,
and from the collar to the end of the centre pin is 14mm. From the
technical drawing above, it is clear that there is no way this can
actually
fit.

In this technical drawing is another drawing of a 3.5mm plug that
presumably
mates with this socket, because it does not have the collar you find on
headphone jack plugs.

So are there 2 different types of 3.5mm plug/socket standards?

Bizarre.

They come in 2, 3 or 4 conductor versions. They are all the same length in
my shop.

This is a typical 3.5mm plug, length of shaft = 14.25mm
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1680205.pdf

This is the Schurter one, length of shaft = 18.6mm.
http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/..._4802.1300.pdf

They are not compatible.

Gareth.