Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default Strong enough?

On 2/18/2014 2:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/18/2014 9:09 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
Is this what you envision?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

I can think of several other possibilities. I do like this one, partly
because I think I can build it. :

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of a "stopped dado" in the
Curved End Panels for that bottom shelf to reside in, somewhere along
this line:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...5 76606766610

I figured that a "stopped dado" would eventually enter the discussion.

Mainly because it would give you a more finished, 'furniture like' look
on the curved end panels of the bottom shelves, and still provide
strength, especially if you pin the joints with a contrasting
wood/dowel/pin.

This project's "lesson" was supposed to be using a router and template
to cut (actually "clean up" - after jigsawing a little outside of the
line) the four curved supports. A stopped dado would mean two "lessons".

Either way will work, though.

Most folks with your time level invested in woodworking usually rely on
someone else's plans to make anything at all - you're well past them in
that regard.

I think we can chalk that up partly to arrogance and having a small
house. Most everything I have built or intend to build is meant to store
and/or display things efficiently, space-wise. The things I see in wood
magazines are nice for inspiration, but they never quite fit. Besides,
some part of me always figures I have a better idea, despite ample
evidence to the contrary.

I also get to design for what I think I can build, and sometimes, to try
a new technique.

So take it up a notch, stretch yourself a bit and tackle stopped dadoes
if you haven't already done so. Doing so will only improve your skills,
and ultimately the end product of your designs.

It's true, when all you have is a hammer ... every design looks like a
nail.

I haven't tried a stopped dado since high school. In fact, I seem to
remember making the entire dado (two, in fact) by hand. I believe we
hand-sawed the long edges, chiseled the end line and used a two-handled
router plane to plow out the waste.

If I decide to go the stopped-dado route, I guess I would simply need to
chisel the rounded corners square after routing out the dado. I'll
consider it.