Posted to rec.woodworking
Morgans Morgans is offline

Default Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

With a full head, you gain mass, but I don't think it gives you the

deadblow, that is desireable. That's why I would go with less fill, but

lead, to gain back the mass.

No. Substitute the mass for lead in my equations above. You are still
better off with a full head of lead than 1/2 full head of lead. It's the
same equations.

What you are describing is a weighted mallet. For a deadblow hammer to be
effective, the shot moves to the back of the hammer as you start to swing,
then crashes forward at impact, thus reducing rebound. It can not shift if
it is full. See the definition, here.

http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement...dex.html#dname
dead-blow hammer
Strikes blows without damaging the work's surface. The tool's hollow head is
partially filled with small metal shot, which reduces rebounding.
--
Jim in NC

---