Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On 02/17/2014 03:43 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
basilisk wrote:

Everthing that will use 240v is accounted for, except for a welding
machine. I may go diesel for the welder as the machine I have now is a
buzz box and not good for much.

What kind of welding do you do? Your buzz box is not something I would
consider "not good for much", unless there's something wrong with it. If
you're working under 3/8" for 90% of your welding, then give due
consideration to the 120v welders. I think they're usually actually rated
to 1/4" but they will easily weld 3/8". Nice, because you can plug them in
anywhere. Most of us don't weld 1/2" often enough to warrant the extra
expense so the 120v welders work just fine. I have welded 1/2" with my
Hobart, but I did it in multiple passes . The nice part is I can throw it
in the truck or in the trunk and take it anywhere to do some welding. Using
flux core wire, I don't even need to take my argon bottle.

I guess I am being unkind to the buzz box, it has served for 30 years.

It is disappointing to use one of the 300 amp mig welders at work and
then use the buzz box at home, I'm ready to move up.

I might weld anything from 12ga to 1", I would like to be able to
weld thicker sections in a reasonable amount of time.

I like the suitcase welders too, just don't own one.

I would like to have tig capability too, I have never tig welded
but my son does, it would give him a chance to teach the old man something.

basilisk