Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flat washers and flat pennies

On 2/17/2014 3:44 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 23:03:10 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Lab Lover wrote:
On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:47:38 -0500, wrote:

I am not absolutely positive, but in the USA, I believe
such would be a federal offense.

So is crushing that penny under the train. I should think
about it every time I use a penny for a shot pin washer ...
Naaa!

Destruction of our currency is illegal. I went through this
with a guy at work once. He wanted to scan a bill (serial
numbers), put it into a shredder and present is as evidence.

Bottom line was the bill was to be put back into the (treasury)
and the local facility after it was not longer needed.

Just sayin'

Oren, technically, your assertion is incorrect.

There is no US code against the destruction of currency. If you
wish to burn a million dollars to ash, there is no crime.
Mutilation, etc of currency is only a crime if there is
fraudulent intent, for example it you were to mutilate a $10 bill
and attempt to pass it off as anything other than a $10 bill.

The indisputable pivotal word in the code below is "fraud".
There is no fraud in putting a coin on a railroad track so a
train can flatten it.

However, it is illegal to trespass on railroad tracks and it is
most certainly illegal to tamper with rail equipment.

USC title 18, Section 331

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs,
diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins
coined at the mints of the United States, or any foreign coins
which are by law made current or are in actual use or circulation
as money within the United States; or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or
sells, or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings
into the United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be
altered, defaced, mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified,
scaled, or lightened -

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five
years, or both

NOT just sayin'

Just curious...not arguing.

How does your assertion that "there is no US code against the
destruction of currency" stand up against Title 18 Section 333,
which doesn't include the word "fraudulent"?

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/historicallegislation.html

"Defacement of currency is a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of
the United States Code. Under this provision, currency defacement
is generally defined as follows: Whoever mutilates, cuts,
disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any
other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of
debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve
Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s)
unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

Defacement of currency in such a way that it is made unfit for
circulation comes under the jurisdiction of the United States
Secret Service. The United States Secret Service web address is
www.secretservice.gov."

The sound of crickets is deafening silence

You should put this link in your bookmarks. ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA

TDD