Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Shop wiring and lighting

On 2/17/14, 1:19 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

Keep in mind how lighting affects the hues in your finishes. Many
artificial light sources make it next to impossible to see what
your finish will actually look like in natural or normal household
lighting. Fluorescent and halide being the worst offenders.

Yes - kinda, sorta. I do agree that color temperature in lights
does factor in, but if one is comparing two pieces, then it's a lot
different thing. If one is looking to achieve a particular color as
viewed under different lighting, then it's an issue. The best
advise is to compare the desired color and the work piece color
under the same light. We have to do this everyday when painting
cars. The secret is to really look at the target piece to see what
it looks like - not what you want to think it looks like.

I spent the extra money on fluorescent tubes that give off light
the color of an overcast day which is not too warm and not too
cool, and certainly not that gross green of most fluorescent
tubes.

Not a bad choice. I went with the more blueish daylight tubes. I
needed as much light as I could find. It is not hard to match
existing colors, or desired colors if I pay attention to viewing
them under the same lighting.

I wasn't even thinking about matching colors.
I was thinking purely esthetics.

We are working in an art form and we naturally just see colors in our
own minds as beautiful or not. That is drastically affected by light
and is skewed by the hue, as it were. :-) In anything else we do in
woodworking, all we need is *enough* light, the color doesn't matter.
If we can see the shapes and textures we are making, that is all that
matters. But with color, why start off at such a terrible disadvantage?
In the long run, it's a drop in the bucket to get some decent colored
lighting like you and I did.

Personally, I'm not going to check out the lighting in a home where
something I build is going. If they have florescent lighting, that's
their problem. *Every*thing in that room will be ugly. :-)

That's what always cracks me up about these home stores in a warehouse
type setting with terrible lighting. Whether it's flooring and tile, or
furniture, or whatever, even a beautiful product is going to look ugly
under those terrible green and orange and yellow lights.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--