Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shop wiring and lighting

-MIKE- wrote:

Keep in mind how lighting affects the hues in your finishes. Many
artificial light sources make it next to impossible to see what your
finish will actually look like in natural or normal household
lighting. Fluorescent and halide being the worst offenders.

Yes - kinda, sorta. I do agree that color temperature in lights does factor
in, but if one is comparing two pieces, then it's a lot different thing. If
one is looking to achieve a particular color as viewed under different
lighting, then it's an issue. The best advise is to compare the desired
color and the work piece color under the same light. We have to do this
everyday when painting cars. The secret is to really look at the target
piece to see what it looks like - not what you want to think it looks like.

I spent the extra money on fluorescent tubes that give off light the
color of an overcast day which is not too warm and not too cool, and
certainly not that gross green of most fluorescent tubes.

Not a bad choice. I went with the more blueish daylight tubes. I needed as
much light as I could find. It is not hard to match existing colors, or
desired colors if I pay attention to viewing them under the same lighting.

--

-Mike-