Posted to alt.home.repair
Lab Lover Lab Lover is offline

Default Flat washers and flat pennies

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 10:41:10 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 05:39:11 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 18:55:45 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:23:27 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:11:45 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:59:54 -0800, Lab Lover wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Sat, 15 Feb 2014 17:47:38 -0500, wrote:

I am not absolutely positive, but in the USA, I believe such would be
a federal offense.

So is crushing that penny under the train.
I should think about it every time I use a penny for a shot pin washer
... Naaa!

Destruction of our currency is illegal. I went through this with a guy
at work once. He wanted to scan a bill (serial numbers), put it into
a shredder and present is as evidence.

Bottom line was the bill was to be put back into the (treasury) and
the local facility after it was not longer needed.

Just sayin'

Oren, technically, your assertion is incorrect.

There is no US code against the destruction of currency. If you wish
to burn a million dollars to ash, there is no crime. Mutilation, etc
of currency is only a crime if there is fraudulent intent, for example
it you were to mutilate a $10 bill and attempt to pass it off as
anything other than a $10 bill.

The indisputable pivotal word in the code below is "fraud". There is
no fraud in putting a coin on a railroad track so a train can flatten
it.

However, it is illegal to trespass on railroad tracks and it is most
certainly illegal to tamper with rail equipment.

USC title 18, Section 331

Whoever fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates, impairs, diminishes,
falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the mints of
the United States, or any foreign coins which are by law made current
or are in actual use or circulation as money within the United States;
or

Whoever fraudulently possesses, passes, utters, publishes, or sells,
or attempts to pass, utter, publish, or sell, or brings into the
United States, any such coin, knowing the same to be altered, defaced,
mutilated, impaired, diminished, falsified, scaled, or lightened -

Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five
years, or both

NOT just sayin'

I'll say what I said, the federal agency policies, rules and
regulations on evidence presentation at the time I spoke about.

The employee was wrong to try an present a scanned copy of the bill
(counterfeit), when the legal tender was the best evidence.

YMMV.

Slice and dice your own words as you will. However, there is no doubt
you asserted the following: "Destruction of our currency is illegal."
You are incorrect, it is not illegal.

You asserted this relative to the discussion of crushing of a penny
under a train.

You then went on to tell a completely unrelated and irrelevant story.
Yes, counterfeiting is illegal, not much of a news flash now is it?

Portend what you like. I gave my comment based some experience in the
real world, about presentation of evidence. Based on rules,
regulations in the presentation of the evidence on a local federal
level. Destruction of evidence is illegal.

Last thing you did was remotely suggest posters here seem to have an
affinity for children.

I'm not buying your hornswoggle. You seem to think you know so much
about what the documented / practiced rules and regulations were, how
about you comment on that.

Oren, nothing you have said above changes the fact you were wrong
about the "destruction of money being a crime". The USC was provided
as a citation.

You gave a reference in USC about coins. My original comment was about
bills; how an employee wanted the shred the note, which was evidence.
The note was to be deposited back into business manager's budget (US
Treasury).

Had you looked further down in the USC you would find:

18 U.S. Code § 333 - Mutilation of national bank obligations

"Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or
unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill,
draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking
association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System,
with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence
of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or
imprisoned not more than six months, or both. "

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/333

Does that Hamilton in your pocket say Federal Reserve Note on it?

Keep thinking I was wrong if you like. I really don't give two hoots.

Yes, you are still incorrect, the criminal nature of the offense is
dependent upon fraud.

Feel free to burn your own money, as long as you do not attempt to
defraud any entity or person, you have committed no crime.

You must read the entire statute and not just stop after the first
sentence.

Can you find any statute that includes the word "destroy or
destruction" pertaining to currency? And is that statute dependant
upon any kind of fraud?