TeamCasa

Default Suggestions for making a "ring"

Mark and Kim, That looks like a fun project!

I just hope your not the ones responsible for breeding the West Nile
carrying mosquitoes!

Dave

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
Thanks Dave! I'll actually have the spokes in place. I'll route just
shy of the spokes and finish over them with a utility knife. The router
will do more of a trim job than anything. No moving or binding of major
pieces will be involved. Here is the building the waterwheel will be
installed on. Bottom photo, left side of "mill."
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond6.htm Neighbor got a new fence, I got
the redwood to reclaim for the mill, water wheel, bait shack, etc, etc!
Grist mill is 6'x6', 6' tall and , as stated, the water wheel is 4'
diameter.

TeamCasa wrote:

Mark, Be careful when routing the inside of the ring. Tape blocks or

dowels
in as you go or double stick tape the ring to a scrap to hold it secure.
Dave

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

Waterwheel. So having the inside smooth is fine as the bottom of the
buckets will attach there. Outside rough is fine and preferred. Router
and center point it is! Thanks!

George wrote:

Router and center point for me. Common enough use for a router to be

in
almost all the books. I've done the bandsaw for outsides, jig works

fine.

Trouble is, you're still going to have to spokeshave or belt sand the

edges

anyway, with the problem of flat spots. Router leaves a nice edge, and
doesn't care if it's making a hollow octagon round or a huge slab into

donut.

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith

wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The

outer

circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the

center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.