Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Most lucrative business for a machine shop

On 2014-02-15, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:
I recently befriended two guys that started up a machine shop and they
also do stampings on a couple of old presses. Nice guys, and they have
done stuff for me that I was too busy or machines tied up. Their work
was OK and the price was right.

They are pretty hungry and are looking for work to pay the bills. What
kink of jobs would be the easiest for them to find and what kind of
jobs would be the most lucrative? I know, every machinist in the world
wants the answer to those questions.

No one will ever tell you how to make a lot of money with little
capital. People do it, but they do not share the good ideas.

Most people that manage to make a lot of money with little capital are
either very capable in some valuable way, very energetic, willing to do
work that others don't find enjoyable, or some combination thereof.

If it's easy and lucrative, it's been done so much that it's not
lucrative any more.

I think "lucrative" here means it pays the overhead with the least
amount of time and effort, not to get rich. That frees up machine and
people time to do more fascinating things. These guys seem to enjoy the
work that involves being clever.