Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Derek F[_3_] Derek F[_3_] is offline

Default TVR on communal central heating system

On 14/02/2014 12:10, Woody wrote:
"harryagain" wrote in message

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in
message ...
In article
,
Vir Campestris writes:
On 12/02/2014 19:37, Derek F wrote:
We live in a Block with a communal heating and hot
water system.
It has been suggested that residents at their own
expense have TVR's
fitted to their radiators to cut down on the communal
heating bill.
Some have previously replaced their radiators and have
TVR's.
To my very simple mind I'm not convinced that it will
work.... but I
will soon be corrected. At the moment if I have a valve
full on or turn
it down to barely on the radiators stay at the same
heat.
Derek
(cross-posted)

It seems to me if the radiator doesn't cool down the
valve isn't off.

TRVs should cut down the costs - you won't get people
having to open the
windows to control heat.

A very common misunderstanding is that a TRV is a
*radiator* thermostat.
It is not - it's a *room* thermostat.

The radiator will variously go hot/warm/cold, as the TRV
maintains the
*room* temperature.

The big problem with communal heating systems is that
people just throw
the windows open when it gets too hot. With my home
automation, the
heating in that zone is switched off if an outside door
or window is
opened for 5 minutes or more.

The big problem is they don't work very well.
They are more influenced by the nearby radiator
temperature than the room temperature.
Unless you have one with a remote sensor.

I spotted that one before installation, so when the time
came I fitted them on the return side of the radiators so
that the sensor is horizontal and a tad further away from
the heat source. Works very well.

Also to the OP remember to leave one radiator without a TRV
so that some water can always flow through your system
(although I guess this applies more to a single domestic
installation.) The bathroom is the best option.

The bathroom towel rail (no Rad there) works off the hot water system.
When the new boiler was installed I was going to get new radiators
installed. Only three out of eight contacted from the local Checkatrade
directory wanted to come to quote. They scratched their heads and did
not understand how they would do it. I took them next door to a
neighbour who had previously replaced her rads replaced and had TVR's.
They evidently understood then. By the way we have parquet flooring
under the carpets if that makes any difference.
Two did not want to do it. Silence from the third. Eventually an E-Mail
to him produced a quote of over £3k for three radiators and another
Grand if we wanted an additional one in the hall.I did not bother
replying.
Derek