Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

On 2/13/2014 7:44 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Ivanpah thermal solar project comes on line.

Three year construction in Mojave desert comes on line.

Will supply power for 140,000 homes in SoCal.

Replaces San Onofre nuclear facility taken off line.

Reduces CO2 emissions by 400,000 tons annually.

We are gaining on it.

Google Ivanpah thermal solar project for more info.

BTW, "Ivanpah" is a town near where project is located.

Lew

There is a problem with solar panels though Lew, because they absorb so
much sun, they heat up the area.

So all the windmills affected the wind currents.
The solar panels will affect the temperatures.
There's no free lunch. I too am concious of the energy problems, and
waste problems we have. I had read about the super collectors where
mirrors focus the light and follow the sun, that also has problems.
Then there is the current GE commercial showing harnessing the ocean,
that too if built in big farms will have major issues. Imagine that
effecting the ocean currents, or chopping whales in half that venture
too close...
Many options in moderation might be the answer, but no single method
will wind up providing the answer, and thats the problem.

Fuel cells... it's expensive to break up water into hyrdrogen and
oxygen.It requires high amounts of electricty..
NO FREE LUNCH.. not today.

--
Jeff