Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Derek F[_3_] Derek F[_3_] is offline

Default TVR on communal central heating system

On 13/02/2014 22:10, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Vir Campestris writes:
On 12/02/2014 19:37, Derek F wrote:
We live in a Block with a communal heating and hot water system.
It has been suggested that residents at their own expense have TVR's
fitted to their radiators to cut down on the communal heating bill.
Some have previously replaced their radiators and have TVR's.
To my very simple mind I'm not convinced that it will work.... but I
will soon be corrected. At the moment if I have a valve full on or turn
it down to barely on the radiators stay at the same heat.
Derek

(cross-posted)

It seems to me if the radiator doesn't cool down the valve isn't off.

TRVs should cut down the costs - you won't get people having to open the
windows to control heat.

A very common misunderstanding is that a TRV is a *radiator* thermostat.
It is not - it's a *room* thermostat.

The radiator will variously go hot/warm/cold, as the TRV maintains the
*room* temperature.

The big problem with communal heating systems is that people just throw
the windows open when it gets too hot. With my home automation, the
heating in that zone is switched off if an outside door or window is
opened for 5 minutes or more.

That's a smart move.
Derek