Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pulled the trigger on a Woodworker II

On 2/12/2014 2:33 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
BillinGA wrote:
Re plywood faceframes- my SIL made cabinets for a relative. They were
painted with oil base that laid down very well. I was skeptical when
he told me he was going to make the ff's out of ply. He sanded all
exposed edges carefully. I don't know how he came up with such void
free plywood but I was very impressed with the finish...no sign of
the layers. It looks just like painted mdf or solid wood. It is one
of those things I would not believe if I had not seen it for myself.
I still wouldn't do it that way but it worked for him.

Likewise - my dad built our kitchen cupboards out of birch plywood back in
the early 60's. I don't know what he did but you do not see the plys in the
face frames - even now, some 40 years later. I'm sure there was nothing
fancy he did because my dad was not an accomplished woodworker. Whatever he
did was simple and it worked.

One of the simple ways to hide the edges for the plywood face frames was
to stop the side ends of the face frame, normally the stile, even with
the inner side of the side of the cabinet. The side of the cabinet
stopped even with the back of the face frame.

So if you are picturing this correctly the corner of the cabinet where
the face frame and side of the cabinet meet forms a 3/4" x 3/4" void at
the out side front end corner. That was filled with a piece of plywood
that was a right triangle that fit into that square void. The corners
of the cabinet appeared to be 45'ed.