Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pulled the trigger on a Woodworker II

On 2/11/2014 7:55 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/11/14, 3:24 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/11/2014 3:07 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/11/14, 1:35 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 2/11/2014 1:53 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/11/14, 12:38 PM, Leon wrote:
One other method that I used to use was lay a strip of masking tape
down over the line to be cut. The tapes helps to hold the wood,
that might splinter, in place. The problem I had was removing the
tape, unless you were very careful with the direction that you pull
it, you might do more harm.

It only takes one time to learn the lesson on that! :-)

I worked with some pre-finished birch plywood from a local supplier
for
the first time on a recent project. I was amazed at how the finish
prevented most tear-out. Ever since then, I have started to put
most of
the layers of finish on plywood before cutting (or right after rough
sizing). Not only does it cut down on tear-out, but it's so much
easier
to finish those larger sheets. Then you're left with minor sanding
and
the final coat on the finished project.

If you don't want to go into too many finish steps on the plywood, I
have found that even a coat or two of sanding sealer helps with
tear-out
and also makes the sheets slide across the table more smoothly.

it also wears out the cutter quicker. Sanding sealer probably less than
a poly.

Do you have a source for this information?
I find it hard to believe that any difference would be noticeable at
all, if true.

Well cutting anything extra takes it's toll. ;~) But I agree, the
benefit probably by far out weighs the disadvantages.

But I agree, pre-finishing would be easier on large ply
panels... . Tough to match up face frames though. Much easier when you
are working from the same mix, not further down in the can..

I don't know anyone who makes their face frames out of plywood. :-)

Back in the 60's and 70's most new homes built-in cabinets had plywood
face frames. Done right the doors and drawer fronts were made from the
pieces cut out form the drawer and door openings. Add moldings and
those blanks became trimmed out doors just a little bigger than the
openings. There was a lot of plunge cutting going on. Not the best way
to do things but many many kitchen and bathroom cabinets were built this
way.

You just described my kitchen, unfortunately. :-)
I'm quite certain, however, that this is not done today.

Hard to say if it is still being done, prefab cabinets are probably more
cost effective labor wise. A local builder in Houston, up until
relatively recently, was still using this method, probably 10 years ago.
It was pretty much an exclusive offered by that builder. It was oddly
enough an option over prefab cabinets. Perry Homes.