Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_2_] Bill Wright[_2_] is offline

Default Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket?

Johny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 04:47:12 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

No need for the 5A FCU. The 6A MCB or 5A fuse will take care of any
overload.
My reason for including it was not for protection of the wiring, but for
adding discrimination if possible.

Use a 1A or 3A fuse then.

Bill

+1 And, if possible a half amp fuse (the actual draw for a typical
aerial amplifier will be way less than 0.1A). The lower the better in
this instance.

On one occasion we had a small domestic amp (of reputable make) develop
a fault which caused it to make the nearby carpet smoulder (we'd
supplied it and left it inside the TV cabinet, but the customer had
re-arranged things and screwed it to the skirting board.) The amp had
obviously got very hot indeed. It was of a type with a thin walled steel
case inside a black plastic case, and the latter had melted quite a bit.
The amp had not blown the plug fuse, which was 3A. The smell had alerted
the customer when he came home and he had disconnected the power.

Incidentally I've told this before on here, but there was the young mum
who, offended by the smell coming from the masthead amplifier power
supply, and concerned that it might burn the baby's fingers, wrapped it
in towels.

Bill