Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket?

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 20:52:42 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

paulfoel wrote:
Currently got wiring in the attic that runs a light. Originally just a pull switch and bulb/holder but I've replaced with strip light.

However, what I want to do now is have plug socket up there. Is it acceptable

to run this wire into a double plug socket. (Then I can put plug on end
of wiring for light also and just plug this is leaving me with one space
socket).

Or leave well alone because its a light circuit?

Feed the supply to a 5A fused spur unit and feed that to the 13A socket,
and label the socket 'Max load 5A'. That's what they usually do for
aerial amps. You do need to pick up an earth from the lighting circuit
though, so if there isn't one you're stuffed.

Assuming we're dealing with 'modern' lighting circuits which are
required to include a protective earth, if you're going to use a FIVE
AMP fuse inline, you might as well forego the luxury of such a fuse
box connection altogether for your 13A socket spur and just use an
ordinary joint box to tap into the lighting circuit.

The 6A fuse or CB at the CU will still provide the same level of
fault protection on the lighting circuit and exceed safety
requirements for the attached 13A Socket circuit. With a 5A fuse
you're just as likely to see the 6A fuse blow (or CB trip) at the CU
as you are the 5A cartridge fuse in the spur fuse box.

The extra fuse protection only makes sense with 3A or lower rated
fuses fitted. You can always fit a 13A[1] fuse on a temporary basis to
allow you to use a powertool or whatever that draws just less than the
6A limit on the lighting circuit with all bar the one lamp switched
off whenever you want to avoid the hassle of digging out and setting
up a mains extension cord from a regular mains socket.

[1] If you're going to swap out the regular 1, 2 or 3 amp fuse, you
might as well fit a 13A fuse and work to the 6A limit of the lighting
circuit protection.
--
Regards, J B Good