Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Caulking-Gunn@work.com is offline

Default Have you had Frozen Pipes this winter?

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 09:24:28 -0800 (PST), bob haller
wrote:

Well I replaced a bunch of copper at my GFs nieces home, copper had frozen and burst.

Did you use PEX? That may help in the future.

yep PEX its cheap easy to install, freeze tolerant and sharkbites make it dead easy

While the PEX pipe itself is not supposed to burst when frozen, I
question what happens to the brass fittings, and particularly those
sharkbites????

I also wonder how CPVC pipe compares as far as staying intact when
freezing? CPVC is even easierr to install than PEX, and while the pice
prices are about the same, the fittings for the CPVC are much cheaper.

I do agree, copper pipe is probably the worst for durability when it
freezes. Even the old galvanized steel held up better.