Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Pulled the trigger on a Woodworker II

On 2/11/2014 12:27 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:

Common techniques to combat this are to use a straight edge and sharp
marking knife or utility knife to prescore the panel. Also the use
of a zero clearance insert can be of benefit.

The trick with scoring I was already aware of but I don't think I've ever
done that. So - if you score - do you score right where the center of the
teeth would be, or cut with the teeth on the waste side of the score? I
suspect the latter...

To do it right, you score on the keeper side of the edge of the cut.
That is quite often both sides of the blade.

Most better European saws offer a scoring blade that is raised
slightly above the surface and directly in front of the main blade. This
scoring blade's only function is to make the cut through the
bottom side of the panel veneer. Well some might use it for other
functions but that is what it's intended use is.

My trick is to raise my blade about 1/8" above the table surface and
make my cut. I then raise the blade to make the complete cut and pass
the work through again. I only do this when cross cutting plywood.

This seems to be much more practical.

Absolutely, and probably the easiest simplest and fastest. A note, it is
easier to make rough and slightly over sized cuts so that you have
manageable pieces to work with, if you can spare the waste. Then trim
to size making the two height cuts.

One other method that I used to use was lay a strip of masking tape down
over the line to be cut. The tapes helps to hold the wood, that might
splinter, in place. The problem I had was removing the tape, unless you
were very careful with the direction that you pull it, you might do more
harm.