Posted to alt.home.repair
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Have you had Frozen Pipes this winter?

wrote in message
Have you had Frozen Pipes this winter?

It seems everyone I know has had frozen pipes this winter, even those in
the south, qwho normally dont experience such severe cold temps. It's
been a very severe winter, and I have actually given up on some pipes
that repeatedly keep freezing. Carrying containers of water si becoming
the norm, and is much less trouble than constantly fighting with frozen
pipes. I even drained the pipes in a trailer house that I have on my
property, and just gave up the battle till weather warms up. I have
pipes that NEVER froze since I moved to this farm about 15 years ago.
The heat tapes just can not keep up, while my electric bills are
frightening.

Even my sewer pipe is now frozen, going to the septic. I had to just
quit using the toilet, and use a camper toilet in the house, which gets
dumped outdoors. I disconnected the sewer pipe, and rigged a pipe
outdoors that just drains the gray water on the lawn. It's a major pain
in the ass, but what else can I do????

Come warmer weather, I'm going to redo some of these pipes. But for
now, all I can do is live with it, and wait till the weather warms up.

I'm posting this to find out how many of you are having these same
problems. I bet it's far more extensive than expected.
Come Spring, I bet plumbers are going to be making lots of money and
working overtime.

There is a cure for this so long as you don't have a water meter.
Just leave the tap/faucet trickling/dripping.
You want the faucet furthest away from the incoming pipe so that as much
pipework as possible is protected.
Enough water comes through to prevent freezing.
Make sure the drain doesn't freeze up.

The colder it gets, the more water you need to be running through.
In the UK, a fast drip is sufficient and only by night. Maybe you need more
in the US.
Even if you do have a water meter it might be worth it.