Mark and Kim Smith

Default Suggestions for making a "ring"

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:05:09 +0200, Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Dave Hinz writes:

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter,

Two thoughts:
1. Lathe and faceplate.

With 4' this lathe will be a rather large one...

OK, I'll freely admit that I misread this. BUT - a lathe head has
two sides, does it not? If the centerline of the spindle is more than
2' off the floor, then you can turn something as big as you want. Need
a spindle that is drilled through and some creativity, but it could be done.

So now I'm thinking either a 2' - 4" plywood disc template to run the
router around using a collar or a template / jig that pins at the center
that enables me to swing the router on the 1' - 2" radius. And sorry,
no lathe in my gar.... er, shop so that's out.