Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_2_] Bill Wright[_2_] is offline

Default Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket?

paulfoel wrote:
Currently got wiring in the attic that runs a light. Originally just a pull switch and bulb/holder but I've replaced with strip light.

However, what I want to do now is have plug socket up there. Is it acceptable

to run this wire into a double plug socket. (Then I can put plug on end
of wiring for light also and just plug this is leaving me with one space
socket).

Or leave well alone because its a light circuit?

Feed the supply to a 5A fused spur unit and feed that to the 13A socket,
and label the socket 'Max load 5A'. That's what they usually do for
aerial amps. You do need to pick up an earth from the lighting circuit
though, so if there isn't one you're stuffed.

Years ago I went to a block of flats to find out why the TV system
didn't work very well. There was no amp in loft above the communal
stairs, but I could see coaxes passing across that loft into the loft of
a flat, so I got into there and found the amp, which was strategically
placed midway between a lighting terminal box and a steel housing which
was something to do with the warden call system. The mains cable for the
amp had been stripped back by about two feet. The brown wire went to the
lighting terminal box and the blue one went to one of the screws that
held the lid on the metal box. This was not the cause of the fault,
which was simply that the amp was overloaded by aerial signal. However I
made myself unpopular by disconnecting the amp (which left the residents
with no reception rather than poor reception) pending the arrival the
next day of an electrician.

Bill