Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default More Actual Woodworking and another use for the Domino

On 2/10/2014 9:43 AM, Larry Kraus wrote:
Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

On 2/7/2014 6:14 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:

Not sure who makes'm but this is where I get'm

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...07&cat=1,43513

Other than the vernier, I think my combo square accomplishes
everything the stop rule can. What am I missing here?

Probably nothing. How does your combination square compare in price?
Is you square all satin chrome steel?

These stop rules operate very smoothly and have a good feel. I find my
combination squares a bit cumbersome.

OK. No big differences, then. I've several squares, Starretts and a
Mitutoyo, and one Empire, in 4", 6", 12" (3), and 24" sizes, all but
two have satin chrome rules. Prices at a local antiques consignment
shop ranged from $15 (6" Mitutoyo) to $60 for the 12" Starrett with
protractor and center heads. The 30 year old 12" Empire ($9?) gets the
most use for general construction and household purposes since it is
accurate and I do not worry about dropping it. The better squares are
used for layout and machine setups.

Yeah. all in what you prefer. Much better made than the "cheap" combo
squares for the purpose that they are designed.

If my combo squares were Starretts I probably would not have gotten these.