Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket?

Phil L explained :
paulfoel wrote:
Currently got wiring in the attic that runs a light. Originally just
a pull switch and bulb/holder but I've replaced with strip light.

However, what I want to do now is have plug socket up there. Is it
acceptable to run this wire into a double plug socket. (Then I can
put plug on end of wiring for light also and just plug this is
leaving me with one space socket).

Or leave well alone because its a light circuit?

It'll be on the lighting circuit.
Meaning that if you turn all the sockets off at the CU, this socket will
still be live.
It also means that if whatever you have plugged into it trips, the whole
lighting circuit will trip.

Whether this is 'acceptable' is up to you and no one can stop you, but it's
not really advisable....if it's only going to be used for occasional use,
it's probably easier just to run an extension reel up there when required.

I agree, you have to consider that someone may come along and assume it
is safe to plug a 3Kw heater in there. Much safer would be to run a
spur off the upstairs ring, to a twin 13 amp socket, then use one
outlet for the light, via a suitably small fuse in the plug, leaving
you one outlet for your angle grinder, wander light, or what ever.

There is almost always an easy cable route from the 1st floor
floor-level, upto the loft space - airing cupboard etc..

If you then somehow manage to trip that, you will still have some
working light on the floor below.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)