Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Using wiring for attic light socket as plug socket?

Oh, I used a clock point for that sort of thing, I have to say, but then
I'm weird.
Brian

Email:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/02/2014 15:00, paulfoel wrote:
Currently got wiring in the attic that runs a light. Originally just
a pull switch and bulb/holder but I've replaced with strip light.

However, what I want to do now is have plug socket up there. Is it
acceptable to run this wire into a double plug socket. (Then I can
put plug on end of wiring for light also and just plug this is
leaving me with one space socket).

It would seem sensible to split the feed to leave the light permanently
wired, and then have a socket connected via a fused spur unit.

Or leave well alone because its a light circuit?

If you fused the socket (via the spur) at 3 or 5A[1] and labelled the
socket accordingly, it would be ok for powering low current appliances.
This kind of thing is often done for supplies to aerial amps or TV
distribution amplifiers etc.

[1] Depending on the rating of the protective device for the whole
circuit, and the existing load on it from other lamps.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |